"I think there is a world market for maybe five
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and
talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processings
is a fad that won't last out the year."
- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice-Hall, 1957
"But what...is it good for?"
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their
- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of DEC
"Hey, I know this! This is Unix!"
- Jurassic Park
"Indeed, it would not be an exaggeration to describe the history of the computer industry for the past decade as a massive effort to keep up with Apple."
- Byte, December 1994
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even
built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or
we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come
work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard,
and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college
- Steve Jobs, cofounder of Apple Computer
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of throughly useless information."
- Calvin, of Calvin and Hobbes
"From space, I saw the fragile blue earth without borders."